3.15.2011

Random Thoughts

Today has been one of those days. I have a dog who likes to hear the sound of his own bark and that has been really annoying today. But something kind of funny did happen today. We also have two cats who have their claws and we have a cat door cut into the basement door so the cats can get to their litter box. Anyway, I'm constantly telling my dog to stay out of the kitchen because he moves at super sonic speed if even a crumb is dropped and we've had to pay a hefty vet bill for him in the past for pancreatitis, so needless to say he doesn't need to be in there. Anyway he was in the kitchen again just hanging out and was sniffing the floor by the basement door. Apparently my cat has a sense of humor and wanted to scare my dog so you see this cat arm come out of the cat door and then there is a "YELP!" and then HISSS, BARK, HISSS, BARK. It was insane. But it was kind of funny because it reminded me of times in the past when I've hidden around a corner and scared some random family member, then laugh hysterically :)

Anyway, I was thinking about my early years of marriage today and some of the meals we used to have. So I decided to have something that I used to make on a fairly regular basis which is very unhealthy, but I still wanted to try it. I have not done this in years and now I remember why. I bought some instant garlic and herb potatoes, pre-packaged shells and cheese, and fried chicken from a restaurant. Oh my goodness was that disgusting! The potatoes were gloopy and starchy, the shells and cheese had a questionable looking noodle, and the chicken was greasy. I really don't understand how these restaurants manage to get their chicken so greasy. My grandma once told me that if your grease isn't hot enough then you'll get greasier chicken, so maybe that's their problem. I measured how much oil I used one time for homemade fried chicken. All of the oil was there minus one tablespoon and I made a lot of chicken which goes to show that fried chicken doesn't have to be nasty.

I was talking to Leaf today and remembered some taco stuffed shells that she made one time that were DELICIOUS! So I think I'm gonna try that recipe within the next few days. Between the two 1of us, the recipe will be posted eventually. I also got a cheeseburger soup recipe from my neighbor. She made some and gave me a bowl of it, mmmm yummy! I've never made it before, but I plan on trying it and if it turns out right I'll post the recipe.

A couple of days ago my hubby and I were talking about how to turn some of our favorite sandwiches into casseroles because I was looking through a cookbook and found a reuban casserole recipe. We decided that a Philly Cheesesteak casserole would probably be good. So I decided to whip it up. It was OK, but something wasn't quite right so when I figure out what was missing I'll post that one too. I was just thinking about the recipes that I've posted and the food I've been talking about tonight and none of it sounds too healthy. I like to post meals that taste good, kids like, are healthier (especially if you "hide" veggies in the food) and cheaper than what you'll find in a lot of restaurants. I do eat healthy meals...honestly! I'm sure I'll post some of my healthier meals in the future, but for now it's cold outside and comfort food is definately called for :)

Wow, I didn't think I'd have much to say, but I guess I was wrong. I have get going!

Apple

No comments: