4.02.2011

Chicken Broccoli Braid

Here is one of my favorite recipes to make.  I love that it is so full of color!  It is also easy for little kids to eat so that makes my life easy too.  All of the food is chopped so no need to cut it up for little ones and my kids prefer to pick it up and eat it like a sandwich! 

I make mine slightly different than the original recipe.  I will post the original recipe and you can alter it to your tastes.  I prefer to add additional broccoli and I use a whole red pepper (about 1 cup)  vs. 1/2 cup.  I also use 1/4  light mayonnaise instead of 1/2 cup of regular mayonnaise to cut some calories.  In addition I use reduced fat crescent rolls and cheese.  This makes it slightly healthier and doesn't sacrifice any of the taste.   

It takes about 20-25 minutes to prep and 25 minutes to bake at 375 degrees. 

What you need:
2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
1 cup broccoli, chopped
1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
1 garlic clove, pressed
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoons dill
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 packages crescent rolls
1 egg white

Directions:
Chop cooked chicken, red bell pepper, and broccoli.




Add chopped chicken, red pepper, and broccoli in mixing bowl along with cheese, garlic, mayonnaise dill, and salt.
Stir together.


Unroll crescent roll dough and arrange flat on a baking sheet or stoneware. Pinch together perforations to form a single sheet of dough.

Spread chicken mixture evenly over the middle of dough, making it about 6 inches wide and leaving about 1 inch on both ends.  Use a knife to cut 1 inch strips about 3 inches deep along the length (the longest side of dough).  Repeat on the other side. 

Braid strips by lifting dough from one end going across the mixture to meet in the center and twist over to the opposite end.  I find it easier to not actually "twist" the dough but cross it--it cooks better this way.  Tuck ends up to seal the end of the braid.
 
This step is optional:  Brush dough with egg white.  I have done it both ways and do not notice a difference so I typically skip this step.
Bake at 375 for 25-28 minutes or until golden brown.


Cut and Serve



Happy Eating!
Leaf

Yields:  10
This recipe is from Pampered Chef


1 comment:

Bookworm said...

You're making my mouth water!:)