4.27.2011

Drop Biscuits

Since posting my pancake recipe the other day I started thinking about all of the things I have made with White Lily flour and how I needed to alter the liquid content. I was talking to my mom about it and when I mentioned biscuits, my little one said "Mama, Biscuits!" So when a toddler asks for food, mama makes it (I'm sure parents of toddlers can relate to this). Anyway, I made biscuits last night after my spaghetti dinner was all put away, but my little one ate 2 so I was happy!

These are super fast and easy to make. They're usually done in about 15-20 minutes from beginning to end.

Here's the recipe:

2 C Self-rising flour
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 C shortening (I use butter)
1 C milk (if using buttermilk, you'll need a little more)

Mix dry ingredients together. Add in shortening and mix with pastry blender. Make a well in the middle of the mixture and add milk about a 1/2 cup at a time. The secret to fluffy, flaky biscuits is to not work it too much. Mix until just blended. Scoop onto baking sheet and put a little flour in your hands and gently roll dough into smooth ball. Bake at 425 degrees for 10-12 minutes.

I like to grate my butter into my flour. It blends easier that way.









Apple

1 comment:

Wickedstepmother said...

Hi Apple - its too bad I didn't check this out before I decided to make scratch biscuits this morning. I got me some white lily flour (first time using that) and followed the recipe on the back of the bag. They were ok but not great. I'll have to give your recipe a try.

JalaPeno