10.03.2011

Pirate Party

Well the party was a success! Everyone had so much fun! There were a few last minute projects to do. The night before the party I remembered that I didn't make the maps...oops! Here are pictures and I will explain as I go along.


Treasure Maps:

Get a piece of card stock, tear the edges, and crumple into the tightest ball you can get. Flatten out as much as possible. 

I had to make five: 

Soak the paper in coffee or tea for about 5 minutes.  

Take out of the coffee very carefully and lay on cooling rack. Dab excess liquid with a towel. Use blow dryer to dry. 


Burn edges.

Draw your map. After I took this picture, my husband drew a compass on the  map in the upper right hand corner. Each X on the map matched the child's hat color.

Here are a couple of the clues that I printed out and laminated because it was kind of damp outside. I love this font. It looks piratey.


Remember I said that each child was going to have their own X? Well I laminated those too.  

Here are the maps rolled up and tied with ribbon. 

Here is the bird that the kids had to find. I laminated it too and attached it to the side of the shed.  

Here are the treasure chests that the kids had to find. I put them in plastic bags since they were going to be in the straw and there was candy inside, I didn't want any bugs possibly getting in there. I think they actually look nice in the bags. They look like gifts to me.  

My husband painted the portholes. He did an awesome job! 

He also painted the crocodile. Again, awesome job! He found this image online and printed it out. We have a little projector and he just projected the image onto the posterboard and voila! Easy crocodile. 

Here is a fishing net we hung up. We also glued sea shells onto the net. It turned out really cool! 

Here are the  portholes up on the wall:



Here is the "mean" old croc. We cut a hole out of the mouth and that is obviously where the kiddos had to throw the beanbags. I didn't make the toss board. We had one in the shed. But if you want to make one out of cardboard just click here.

Here is the cake that one of the mama's made. It turned out really cute! 

Finally, I just took some crepe paper and hung it in strips from the ceiling. The kids also thought this was cool.  

So thats it! The kids had so much fun finding the next clue and getting their costume along the way. When they got to the front yard and found their treasure chests, the took them, handed them to the parents and had fun playing in the straw. They played in that for a long time with no interest whatsoever in their treasure. When we came back inside, they opened the chests and were excited with all of the goodies inside. Then we all ate cake and everyone went home. It was a nice time!


I hope I was able to give you a lot of good ideas if you want to throw a pirate party of your own!


Apple

2 comments:

Am said...

Everything looked really neat.

Anonymous said...

I loved this whole pirate concept. Can't wait to see what is next.:)