7.20.2011

Pirate Party

Before I jump into the party ideas, I wanted to post a picture of my zucchini that I've picked so far. I have three and I think that might be enough to make plenty of chocolate chip zucchini nut bread. I'm going to make some and depending on how many I get, I'm going to take the zucchini plant out and try to plant something else. Anyway, here's the picture:

They're a good size. I'm excited!

OK, I have decided to throw a pirate party in October. I have lots of ideas, but I want more so for a couple of days, I'm opening up the comments to anyone who reads this so you don't need an account to respond. Anyway, heres the plan...I want to make treasure maps for all of the kiddos. All of them are too young to read so on the map I'm going to have pictures. I've already figured out how to make a map look old, but I need clever little rhymes to go with the pictures. For example: one suggestion that I found is a rhyme that went something like this "To find your next clue, as good pirates know, look where all the vegetables grow". And on their map they would have a picture of a pumpkin or something and they would look for the pumpkin and it would be in the raised garden. When they find the pumpkin, they'll pick out part of the pirate costume and they'll get the next clue. But I don't have any other rhymes for other areas of the yard. So, you're job is to help me come up with rhymes :) I have a shed and a swingset in the backyard that would be pretty easy clues, so a rhyme that will lead them there would be awesome! I was reading on FamilyFun's website and one of their ideas is to have them "walk the plank". So I need a rhyme for that too. I will set out a little swimming pool and fill it with blue and white balls and put a little stuffed crocodile in it. I will put step stools on either side of the pool and place a wooden "plank" that they'll have to walk across. Once they get to the other side, they'll receive a hook and the next clue. I think four clues is enough for them to go through. Their last clue will take them to the front yard where I'll have a lot of straw scattered all over and X's for each child (according to their favorite color), but before they can start digging for their treasure, they need to throw some food to the crocodile. The crocodile will be a basket covered with green fabric and teeth that I'll attempt to make.  I will make the "food" for the crocodile, which will basically be beanbags (wouldn't it be cool if I could find some Captain Hook fabric?). The little one's will have to distract the Croc with food before they can go get their treasure.

For the pirate costume stuff, I'm thinking a tri-corn hat (I found instructions on how to make them), eye patch, hook, belt and foam sword, and maybe a toy parrot in a cage. They would get the parrot after they feed the Croc because he will be holding the parrots captive!

One of the mom's that will be here is a pastry chef, so she'll be providing the dessert and I'll ask her to make it simple so I can post it here for anyone who wants to make whatever she makes for themselves.

So those are my ideas. If anyone has any other cute ideas, that would be great!

Apple

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Miss your blogs :( Keep them coming!!!