6.03.2011

Apple Pie

This is the best apple pie in my opinion. I'm not a big fan of fruit pies, but this one won me over. I got the recipe from here and just check out the ratings. Anyway, like I said in my baked beans post, I didn't take a picture of the finished product, but it always turns out beautiful. I was in a rush and my lattice wasn't very pretty, but it still looked beautiful when I pulled it out of the oven. You can use whatever crust you like, but I always make my own.

Crust:

3 C all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 C shortening (I usually use butter, but this time I used half butter, half Crisco)
1 C cold water (I know that sounds like a lot, but that's how much I use and it turns out perfect everytime. I'm sure many grandma's would beat me with a rolling pin for using that much, but there it is nonetheless. Just use a little at a time).
1 tsp vanilla

Mix the flour and the salt. Cut in the shortening until it resembles small peas. Add the vanilla to your water and start adding the water a little at a time with a fork until dough holds together. Make into a ball and divide dough into thirds. This recipe only calls for two crusts, so feel free to freeze the other one. Roll out and put into pie dish. Cut your strips for your lattice. I put my crusts in the freezer while I get the rest of the mixture together. You might want to put the lattice strips in the refrigerator because I had to wait for mine to unthaw before I could use them, but it was warm in my kitchen, so it didn't take too long.

Just like my biscuit recipe I grate frozen butter into my flour.


I made four balls thinking I could use half of one for the lattice. I ended up going back and rolling out the other ball ;)


Apple Pie Filling:

This filling is different from the original. I followed some of the reviewers advice and it turns out great!

3 Tbsp all purpose flour
½ cup unsalted butter
½ cup white sugar
½ cup packed brown sugar
¼ cup water minus 1 Tbsp
1 Tbsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
5 apples - peeled, cored and sliced
Melt butter in a sauce pan. Stir in flour to form a paste. Add white sugar, brown sugar and water; bring to a boil. Reduce temperature, and simmer 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, place the bottom crust in your pan. Fill with apples, mounded slightly. Cover with a lattice work crust. Gently pour the sugar and butter liquid over the crust. Pour slowly so that it does not run off.

Bake 15 minutes at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), and continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes.

Here's what I did differently: I poured about 3/4 of the sauce into my apples and mixed well. Then I added them to the crust. After putting on the lattice, I poured the remainder of the sauce onto the crust. I didn't bother to brush it all over this time (again, I was in a hurry). It still turned out beautiful.

 Melting butter. Nothing spectacular.


Here's the sugar mixture. Don't laugh at my broken bowl :) I can't bring myself to get rid of it. It was the first bowl I bought after my husband and I got married!


Sauce mixture. I totally forgot to add the flour and it still turned out fine.


I used my Pampered Chef Apple peeler, corer, slicer to save time. If you don't like your apples this thin, cut them by hand. 


Here's my poor excuse for a lattice. This is what happens when guests will be arriving in 20 minutes and you still need to do your hair and makeup!


This is a picture of the first time I made this pie. This is what it will look like after baking. See I know how to do a lattice top ;)


Serve warm and with a nice helping of vanilla ice cream! This is another hit with everyone. Enjoy!

Oh, one more tip. Make sure you put your pie pan on a cookie sheet or something to catch any drippings that might bubble out.

Apple

No comments: